Skype Setup Instructions
for online spiritual direction
Spiritual direction from a distance is easily facilitated by Skype, a free program which you
can download and use for free. I've prepared these Skype setup instructions to facilitate getting
our online spiritual direction experience off to a glitch-free start. Please
read and follow them carefully. Doing so will keep us from needing to spend time solving technical issues during our first meetings together.
It will also be helpful to review Part 2 of these notes again before we meet until you're familiar with the process.
Part 1: One week prior to our first session:
- Check that you have an internet connection which is sufficient to handle a video conversation,
- Purchase a web cam.
- Download and install Skype (www.skype.com) by following the onscreen prompts.
- Set yourself up with a Skype account and user name.
- Test out your webcam settings, ensuring that the audio and video settings are working properly. You can do
this with the help of the Tools/Options tabs in the Skype program.
- Be in touch with me by email
and include your Skype name. I will reply via email with my Skype name.
- To add me as a contact, enter my Skype name and send a request that I accept you as a contact.
Do this a minimum of 2 days prior to our first session to avoid issues of delay in confirming our appointment.
This will complete our Skpype setup process.
- If you have not done so already, please complete an online intake form
which will allow us to get off to a strong start in caring for your soul.
Part 2: On the day of our session:
- Arrange for others in your house to refrain from using the internet during our call unless you know
that your server can handle both connections without a problem.
- Before the session is set to begin, turn off any chat programs, email notifications or other items on your
computer that could distract you.
- At the agreed upon time, be online and available to begin.
- I will initiate the call. To accept the call, click ‘answer video call.’ If for some reason our
connection is interrupted, I will call again unless we have agreed otherwise.
- After we’ve ensured that the technical aspects are working for us, we’ll open our time by
turning our focus to God.
Spiritual direction via phone
Spiritual direction by phone is another option if connecting via the internet is not feasible.
Please read the above and apply the same principles, as applicable, with regard to arranging and preparing for the appointment.
- Unlike spiritual direction via the web camera, you will initiate the call. My telephone number is: (011)31.20.641.9816
- Unless it is an emergency, do not answer call waiting or your cell phone during the session.
If possible, disable the call waiting to minimize distractions.